McKinney Vento Supports
You may contact us if you need assistance or have any questions regarding our program at:
Dr. Tonya Hyde: McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Liaison
Direct e-mail: email@example.com
School districts should:
- Enroll children and youth who meet the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act's definiton even if the child is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment.
- Maintain records to facilitate a child or youth's entrance to a new school.
- Coordinate with social service agencies that serve children and youth in homeless situations.
- Provide infomation to increase the awareness and sensitivity of school personnel to the education needs of children and youth in homeless situations.
- Identify preschool education as part of the appropriate public education to which homeless children have access.
- Appoint a homeless education liaison whose duties are to:
- ensure that families, children, and youth in homeless situations are informed about programs and services for which they are eligible, including transportation
- mediate enrollment;
- ensure parents have meaningful opportunities to participate in their children's education; and
- disseminate notice of the educational rights of children and youth in homeless situations.
You (or someone you know) may be eligible for assistance through Northside Independent School District's CONNECTIONS Program if you are temporarily:
- sharing the housing of others due to the loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (sleep in the home of relatives or friends because of a lack of a fixed, regular, and adequate residence);
- living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations;
- living in emergency or transitional shelters (including domestic violence and runaway youth shelters); or
- an unaccompanied youth who is not in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian (includes young people who have run away from home, been thrown out of their homes, or been abandoned by parents).