Military Student Transition Consultant
Due to the unique challenges faced by military families, the Military Student Transition Consultant is available to address your questions and concerns. Your MSTC plays a pivotal role in establishing collaboration among school systems, academic agencies, youth services, community groups, and installation resources.
The MSTC may support Lackland ISD Schools’ parents, students and their families in the following ways:
- Observe, participate and engage in activities with children and youth
- Provide direct interaction with military connected children
- Model behavioral techniques and provide feedback
- Suggest courses of age appropriate behavioral interventions to enhance coping and behavioral skills
- Available for military parents to contact for guidance and support
- Conduct Professional Development training for staff and parents
- Link Families to programs and services
MSTCs may assist military connected parents, military connected children, and centers with the following issues:
- Communication with Lackland ISD
- Accessing Installation Information and Resources
- Assistance with enrollment and registration
- Coordination of resources and support for special education concerns
- Disseminating information to parents, teachers, students, installation, and community members
- Supporting College and Career Readiness
The Military Student Transition Consultant may also work with military children in settings such as after school functions, school athletic/sports events, field trips, and other school sponsored activities.
I am honored to serve as the Military Student Transition Consultant (MSTC) for Lackland ISD. I am committed to supporting military connected students as they register with the district and will provide assistance that is necessary to ensure a successful transition into the district. Although I am embedded within the district, I work for the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC), and support a collaboration between Lackland Independent School District and Military Child Education Coalition.
The purpose of the Military Student Transition Consultant is to provide the school district and military connected students support as they face unique challenges related to transitions, deployments or reintegration of a military parent. I will coordinate and direct communication between parents, the school district, the installation and the community. In addition, I will connect military families, students, and school district personnel with community resources that can provide additional supports and services to our military families.
I am the veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and my husband retired from the U.S. Army after serving more than twenty years. My professional training and experience has been as an educator and counselor working with children and veterans, both in educational and community based organizations. Throughout my personal and professional experiences, I have gained insight into the military community and am aware of the issues that military families face.
I will work diligently to provide assistance with resource referrals, connect families to military support systems, provide support and assistance with issues related to military life, and connect students with college/career resources and information about district clubs and social interactions.
My office is located near the Counselors’ Office in Bldg #8234, Room #3425. Please call, email or stop by with questions, ideas or to see how I might be able to help you. I would appreciate any input regarding the needs that you see with our military connected children. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to continue building upon the good work that we have taking place at Lackland ISD.