Military Student Transition Consultant
Due to the unique challenges faced by military families, the Military Student Transition Consultant is available to address your questions and concerns. Your MSTC plays a pivotal role in establishing collaboration among school systems, academic agencies, youth services, community groups, and installation resources.
The MSTC may support Lackland ISD Schools’ parents, students and their families in the following ways:
- Observe, participate and engage in activities with children and youth
- Provide direct interaction with military connected children
- Model behavioral techniques and provide feedback
- Suggest courses of age appropriate behavioral interventions to enhance coping and behavioral skills
- Available for military parents to contact for guidance and support
- Conduct Professional Development training for staff and parents
- Link Families to programs and services
MSTCs may assist military connected parents, military connected children, and centers with the following issues:
- Communication with Lackland ISD
- Accessing Installation Information and Resources
- Assistance with enrollment and registration
- Coordination of resources and support for special education concerns
- Disseminating information to parents, teachers, students, installation, and community members
- Supporting College and Career Readiness
The Military Student Transition Consultant may also work with military children in settings such as after school functions, school athletic/sports events, field trips, and other school sponsored activities.
I am Kamilah Antoine your Military Student Transition Consultant (MSTC). I am looking forward to serving your students during various transitions as it relates to PCS moves, transfers in and out of the district or simply preparing to transition to the next academic chapter. I work collaboratively with relevant installation experts and all the academic and social emotional professionals on campus to provide a spectrum of resources and support to students, parents, and district staff. I have a B.A. in Psychology from Grambling State University, and received an M.Ed. in Special Education and an additional Masters in School Counseling from Our Lady of the Lake University.
Prior to serving families here at Lackland ISD, I’ve spent my 13-year professional career working with school age children from PK thru 12thgrade as a Special Education Teacher and School Counselor in public school and charter schools here in San Antonio. I even had the honor of being the first MSTC in San Antonio in 2013 serving military children in Fort Sam Houston ISD. Focusing support efforts on children of Wounded Warriors gave me firsthand understanding of how service member crisis situations directly impact the well being of military children in school. Working with campus staff and the School Liaison Officers really brought together meaningful efforts for that project.
We are also a military family! My husband retired from the United States Navy in 2011 and we share two young adult children that grew up in a blended military family. So, wearing the hats of MSTC, veteran spouse, and mother of to kids that grew up impacted by the military excites me to serve you! When you see me please say hi! I’m a mobile service and may be spotted anywhere or campus.